About Me

My photo
We're an unemployed, musician couple living out of an RV and traveling this great land of ours. Since we're on a limited budget, we can only afford cheap wines, but which ones are grape-juice with moonshine and which ones are worth your time? We'll give you the answer. Gary Vaynerchuck is all good and fine, but if you want the best wine reviews for the proletariat, look no further!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Episode 7! 2010 Gato Negro Merlot

Look who's back in the mothawinin' house with a big black cat for your mothawinin' mouth: THE GHETTO SOMMELIER! Since we live in Brooklyn now, the nearest Trader Joe's is a 20 minute subway ride away to Union Square, but there are a million liquor stores on every corner (I don't know how they logistically fit one million stores on a single corner. It's impressive.) and while we have a great wine shop a few blocks away called Dandelion Wine, on the corner of my block is a ghetto liquor store with a soul-crushing wine selection.

On the shelf above the bottles of Cisco (I wish I was making that up) is a small collection of wines from Spain and Chile with innocent looking labels, and when I found a Merlot from Chile called Gato Negro. For $5.25 the obvious bad omen of buying a wine whose name translates as Black Cat as well as it's corny write-up on the back of the label sold me. Apparently it's produced by one of the oldest wine producers in Chile, which makes me very concerned for the Chilean people. So what was it like when the Black Cat crossed my path? What is a "Gato Negro Moment" promised by the label like? Watch and see!



4P25UKCT4WEV

No comments:

Post a Comment